December 30, 2010 at 3:45 pm , by Rafael Cardenas
The new year is so close that I can almost put my arms around it. I’m gonna put it in a headlock and call it my bitch! I’m gonna shake the shit out of it till it spills all of its delicious content like a busted piñata and when it bursts I hope that you’ll all jump in and grab as many goodies as you can for yourselves. I don’t mind sharing.
Or maybe, since this is my 40th year rolling underneath my feet and I’m a little to old for headlocks and the inappropriate use of the “B” word. And I don’t think I’ll be swinging at any piñatas since you have to line up by height. At 6’2″ someone has to bust it before I do.
What I think I’ll do is invite next year out for a cup of Mate. I’ll sit with the new year and we’ll plan out how we can make things work for everyone involved. Then maybe we’ll grab some good food and go home happy.
That said, 2010 has passed before us in a couple of hyperventilating breaths. Every day flew by and delivered new friends, adventures and assignments. I got so much enjoyment out of my photogRAFA:365 project that I plan to do it again in 2011 but with different rules. I plan on doing more writing too. I did a little writing this year but, being my worst critic, I kept it to myself. Now I sit here in front of my computer ready to roll out the carpet on some new ideas for my website:
- I will continue to post one photo a day. The only difference is that the photo will not be taken on that day. I will be posting photos that I took throughout 2010 that you never saw but deserve their 15 minutes, mixed with any new pictures that I feel deserve of a solo post. That should remove some of the pressure of taking pics every day and should allow me more time to turn out quality photos.
- I will post a photo slideshow as often as I can. My aim is at least once a week.These slideshows will be journalistic, with sound bites and interviews. Here is a sample of what I plan to do.
- I will have other writers contributing to Eastsider Writer. I hope to get submissions that include Lit, Theater, Film, Pop Culture, Community, Music, Food and maybe even Sports!
- You will soon be able to order prints directly from my photo gallery!
- I will also be linking to my online shop and setting up a “Hire Me” page for anyone interested in my services as a photographer or graphic designer.
- I will have more photo exhibits. The first announcement will be out soon. It will be at Primera Taza, titled: Boldly Boyle Heights, from February 1st to ??
So brace yourself for a good ride. Jump in the Monte Carlo and let’s check it all out together.
Happy New Year!! to all of you! I sincerely wish you only the best.
Rafael Cardenas can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org